Editorial - Archives of Pharmacology and Therapeutics (2019) Volume 1, Issue 2
Platelet Hyperactivity and Dysfunction in Diabetes and Cancer
Bahram Alamdary Badlou*
BBAdvies and Research, Research and Development Department, Zeist, Netherlands
- *Corresponding Author:
- Bahram Alamdary Badlou
Received date: May 20, 2019; Accepted date: June 11, 2019
Citation: Badlou BA. Platelet Hyperactivity and Dysfunction in Diabetes and Cancer. Arch Pharmacol Ther. 2019; 1(2):25-26.
Copyright: © 2019 Badlou BA. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
However, the entire coagulation cascade is dysfunctional, in progressed chronic diabetes and cancer patients. Platelets (PLTs) in type 2 diabetic (DT2) involved in Thrombosis and Haemostasis (T&H) of individuals adhere to vascular endothelium and aggregate more voluntarily than those in healthy individuals, as are abnormalities in the microvascular and macrovascular circulations. However [1-4] it is already known that the circulating PLTs are essential for T&H, inflammation  growth factors delivery, regeneration; and knowledge of their function is fundamental to understanding the pathophysiology of vascular disease in diabetes and cancer-related diseases [2-5]. Though, PLTs significant role as participants in the resolution of thromboinflammation is underappreciated . Recently our group has shown that human PLTs’ aggregating function/- reactivity affected by advanced glycated hemoglobin . Recent studies have also provided strong evidence for an association between diabetes complications and an increase in PLTs’ reactivity [2,4,5] Though some metabolic abnormalities have been reported as the major causes of this reactivity and malfunction, which the defined mechanism has not been fully revealed. Intact healthy vascular endothelium play pivotal role in the normal functioning of smooth muscle contractility as well as its normal interaction with PLTs. What is not clear is the role of hyperglycemia in the functional and organic microvascular deficiencies and PLTs (hyper-) activity in individuals with diabetes and cancer-related diseases  Increased levels of fibrinogen and plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 favor both thrombosis and defective dissolution of clots once formed . Insulin resistance is a uniform finding in DT2, as are abnormalities in the
microvascular and macrovascular circulations. These
complications are associated with dysfunction of platelets
and the neurovascular unit [1-4].
Recall, last 15 years studies have shown that Medici failed to decrease mortality and morbidity rate of 5-years survival chance of Cancer patients. There are so many missing links that One might expeculate that what are we doing really about preventing death machineries, which all correlated into PLTs’ function and (dis-)functions. Why pharmaceuticals and developed therapeutics still fail to halt so high mortality and morbidity rates in-Hospitals and/or out of Hospitals. One might expect that in the 21st Century all people has right to know about so called “think mode” of policymakers, pharmaceuticals and Basic Research founders’ principles, who support Research and Development of new drugs and therapeutics.
- Vinik AI, Erbas T, Park TS, Nolan R, Pittenger GL.Platelet dysfunction in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes care 2001 Aug 1; 24(8):1476-85.
- Asadifar M, Bakhti M, Habibi-Rezaei M, Moosavi-Movahedi AA, Tabatabi MR, Asadifar M, Bakhti M,Habibi-Rezaei M, Moosavi-Movahedi AA, Tabatabi MR, Ahmadinejad M, Badlou BA. Platelet Aggregation Increased by Advanced Glycated Hemoglobin. J Blood
Disord Transfus 2015; 6(293):2.
- Senchenkova EY, Ansari J, Becker F, Vital SA, Al-Yafeai Z, Sparkenbaugh EM, Pawlinski R, Stokes KY, Carroll JL, Dragoi AM, Qin CX. A Novel Role for the AnxA1-Fpr2/ALX Signaling Axis as a Key Regulator of Platelet Function to Promote Resolution of Inflammation. Circulation 2019 Jun 3.
- Herczenik E, Bouma B, Korporaal SJ, Strangi R, Zeng Q, Gros P, Van Eck M, Van Berkel TJ, Gebbink MF, Akkerman JW. Activation of human platelets by misfolded proteins. Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology 2007 Jul 1; 27(7):1657-65.
- Li N1, Lv XH2, Wang X1, Wang RT3,4, Huang YX5. Preoperative mean platelet volume predicts survival in breast cancer patients with type 2 diabetes Breast Cancer 2019 May 13: 1-7.
- Moro MA, Darley-Usmar VM, Goodwin DA, Read NG, Zamora-Pino R, Feelisch M, Radomski MW, Moncada S.Paradoxical fate and biological action of peroxynitrite on human platelets. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 1994 Jul 5; 91(14):6702-6.